Wrapping – Christmas Craft Evening 2017
- Expert wrapping tips – basic wrapping – Jane Means - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAYOw5oZvgk
- How to gift wrap a bottle – Jane Means - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1135kXJtME
- How to Accessorise your Gifts: Jingle Bell Bow with Jane Means - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se09o5M0Q8s
- Japanese gift wrapping - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQM8KKP-3Oo
- Japanese gift wrapping – fan detail - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0GE5qdJtJs
- Japanese style gift wrap a wine bottle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQHGIZ42Ro
- Japanese gift wrapping – folded ends detail dramatically changes the appearance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJhh2kkaxY0
- Gift wrapping tips & tricks – Lia Griffth - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp9c4-yCjA
- How to tie the perfect bow – Lia Griffth - https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/lia-griffith-media/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/PerfectBowVideo.jpg
- Wrapping difficult shapes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_y-8OX6-4
- How to wrap a ball – Jane Means - https://blog.whsmith.co.uk/jane-means-how-to-wrap-a-ball/
- Combine 2 different papers, add a simple diy bow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QcxD4VWp0
- Use an old comb to help you make a bow out of ribbon - http://www.loulou.to/making-things/gift-wrapping-how-to-make-a-fancy-bow-using-a-comb/
Different types of paper –
· Conventional patterned wrapping paper
· Plain wrapping paper
· Textured or Craft paper
· Tissue paper
· Crepe paper
Some of these can work out quite expensive –
· As long as you’ll be able to use it all rolls are generally more economical than sheets
· Recycled paper – old maps or books / old music / newspaper
· Or recycle old containers
· Brown paper – maybe jazz it up with potato prints or stencilled designs or with special ribbons & / or toppers & / or tags or wrap a band of patterned offcut round the brown paper
A few things to think about when you’re considering what sort of paper to use –
· Do you need sellotape to hold it or can you use string / ribbon / twine? Sellotape doesn’t stick to all materials
· Are you trying to fold it a lot or will you end up with it several layers in places? While lovely, thick paper can be tricky in some circumstances.
· Is it at risk of tearing? In which case thin paper might tear too readily – items with sharp corners
· Do you need it to be double sided?
2. DIFFERENT WAYS OF WRAPPING SIMPLE SHAPES
· Plain wrapping with simple but effective decoration, often using left-overs / recycled items
· Simple methods of wrapping can be modified so that no sellotape is visible, joints are minimal & neat – particularly good on plain or shiny paper.
· Slight variations on simple wrapping can produce interesting effects – eg folding the ends in separately (video 7 above).
3. WRAPPING DIFFICULT SHAPES
· Ball – video instructions 11
· Bottle - video instructions 6
· All sorts of things to tie up – ribbons (fabric or otherwise) / string (plain or coloured) / chains / wool
· How to tie a good bow – video 9
· Other sorts of decoration – Toppers
· Bow made by wrapping curling ribbon round fingers or with comb – video 13
· Different tags / economy tags – use old Christmas cards, paper offcuts, finger prints, gold pens, gold / silver spray with doileys or other items to act as stencils, potato prints etc etc to decorate luggage labels.
There are SO MANY ideas on the internet that it can be quite overwhelming – you need never be short of ideas as to how to wrap your gifts in unusual attractive and creative ways!